What are doing to keep busy?

Hey all! I’m curious as to what other people are learning/creating during the pandemic/lockdown. I’ve been taking the time to learn Ruby on Rails via the Ruby on Rails Tutorial.

2 Likes

I think it’s awesome you’re making the best of a bad situation and working on some new projects. I worked with Rails in the past and enjoyed it for the most part.

I’m working on a new layout design for my personal site built with Gatsby. I want to add more pages and content, and I’m gonna rework the design to allow for more nav items, etc.

3 Likes

I should learn new technologies. I feel way behind, didn’t touch typescript or svelte yet. But I guess in the JavaScript world you have to get used to that feeling of falling behind…

Anyways I’m working on a course that’s supposed to teach pre-junior frontend developers how to work in a professional environment. Like working with Kanban and tasks, professional designs, GitHub, pull requests and code reviews. Basically a simulation of working on a real-world project or like an online internship

2 Likes

That’s cool! It already looks really good. Mine is pretty plain. My site is built with Gatsby as well and later this week I’m hopping on a call with a friend that does a lot of front end stuff to help me make mine look prettier lol.

That’s pretty interesting! So where are you going to be publishing your course?

Thanks @lucas, for now the domain is ooloo.io. Not sure if I’ll keep it since its nice but not very descriptive.

1 Like

I like the style of the course! It’s not just follow along and “learn” by just watching someone else do the code. I like that you’re giving a list of tasks for the user to do then they have to do research to figure out how to do it. Sort of a self taught kind of way but there is plenty of help if the user needs it.

Exactly that! Thanks for the feedback. I’m happy that you like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like this is a good course idea, different from the other tech-specific courses, but the other not-as-soft-skills that you need to know to be a meaningful member of a team. Mostly companies don’t screen for this, but these skills are essential during the initial onboarding.

Good luck on that

1 Like

I started working out and eating cleaner in the middle of week 4, going good so far

1 Like

Me too, started a carnivore diet in February (before it started) and lost a bunch of weight already. I’ve always neglected health/fitness as a programmer, but finding out in my 40s that I need to get that back.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your feedback @jhnsntmthy

1 Like

I am mostly focussing on staying productive coding for my day job, and then anything outside of that is a bonus. That could be chipping away at a side project, learning to write Node tests, but also just working out regularly and playing guitar. I’m not putting a ton of pressure on myself at this time. There are enough other stresses going on.

1 Like

I have been making updates to my portfolio and fixing bugs!

I’m slowing getting back into coding, so I’m taking it easy. Soon I hope to get back to doing some courses as well!

1 Like