How Does a Seasoned Developer Get Better with CSS?

@joel tweeted that he wants to get better at CSS. This seems like something a lot of experienced devs struggle with. If you know any good resources for an “advanced beginner” to learn CSS leave them here.

2 Likes

If games are your type of thing, Flexbox Froggy is a fun way to learn flexbox, which is one of the best CSS tools I’ve learned to use!

1 Like

I really enjoyed this course on Udemy called Advanced CSS and Sass. Udemy is hit&miss with courses sometimes, but I can really recommend that one. :smiley:

You get to create three projects, some with nice animations and Jonas gives some good advice on project structure and file system. :+1:

Aside from that: I learned Flebox from Flexbox Zombies, and Grid from Wes Bos.

30 Second of code has a collection of nice CSS snippets that might come in handy.

I spend a lot of time on CSS-tricks (sometimes the comments section is particularly useful!)

Refactoring UI is really good too.

Lastly, I got into a habit of inspecting websites as I see them:
I use Font Ninja Chrome extension for fonts, and dev tools for all the rest :smiley:
(the shortcut: cdm + shift + c is your friend!). :+1:

1 Like

I collected close to 50 high quality CSS learning resource from this thread.

My plan is to categorize the resources, asses my personal level of knowledge and then design a curriculum for myself to increase my overall comfort with CSS

I’ll also apply this to our CSS curriculum on egghead!

2 Likes