Hi guys, Joey here

Hi everyone, my name is Joey; a frontend engineer based in Nairobi, Kenya. I use React, GraphQL and Node in most of my projects. I organize a graphql meetup here in Nairobi (https://www.meetup.com/Nairobi-GraphQL-Meetup/) where I teach and share my experience with graphql. I also try to contribute to open source though I haven’t been contributing lately as much as I’d like; looking at improving on this next year. You can reach me on twitter @africansinatra or on GitHub @joeynimu. I look forward to interacting with guys on here to learn and know each other and hopefully, get some opportunities to work on dope projects.

Cheers and happy holidays!

2 Likes

Hi @joeynimu! Welcome to the egghead community! Thanks for stopping by, how long have you been organizing the GraphQL meetup?

Do you have any tips for anyone who wants to organize a meet up?

@Will Thanks!

I have been organizing the meetup for just over a year now, and to be honest, I didn’t have any heads up or someone to guide so, I just figured out things on my own. It hasn’t been that hard for me.

I had struggled initially with coming up with a topic for the next meetup and finding time to practice and learn the subject that’d be covering for most of the things I was talking about were new to me; I was learning as I teach/share. I have a full-time job as a Frontend-Engineer in a local startup, have a wonderful son and a wife along with other things that’d need my attention from now and then. It was tricky at first, for I even missed to organize a meetup in a specific month, for I had not found time to prepare the material.

After some time, coming up with topics has been easy, for I could talk about something I encountered at work or when working on a side project. I also get questions from my meetup attendees on our channels, and if the issues become repetitive, I could talk about that in a subsequent meetup. Other graphql developers have been kind enough to share their experience with us, which has helped with content generation.

Other than that, be devoted to consistently and deliberately create time to prepare for material, among other things, to keep the community alive. When I started, I had zero attendees but after the first one, numbers have been growing and growing.

Maybe other folks on here can share their experience/tips?