Best place for a Tech Blog?

Hello gang!

I’m Starting a Tech Blog for the company I work with, and I have several questions…

1. Where should we publish the article?
If choosing between our own website and publishing platforms such as Medium, which one would you chose and why?
I’m thinking of publishing teaser versions of the articles in Medium and DEV.to and including links to our website’s full version. Thoughts?

2. Any proven article structure that you can think of?
Regarding the article’s structure, do you know any proven format to give structure to the articles?

Any advice or thought will be very appreciated.
Thanks a bunch!

Medium by default is a good choice, granted their domain’s ability to scale your articles to what already is a very WIDE audience…but I’d touch with ONE minor detail. I’d still host the article on your own domain and CMS (assuming you’re on WordPress but this carries to other CMS tools as well) and then leverage Medium’s capability of importing your article. A simple copy/paste of your article link and it’ll give full credit back to your original domain and automatically import the content to Medium.

Article structure…honestly it’s open ended. Are you trying to achieve some SEO status, ride the wave with some hot buzzwords? For the most part, I’d keep it honest and organize the content based on your company’s feedback.

1 Like

My $.02: please don’t publish a teaser. Write a great article and note where folks can read more. Dev.to has great canonical url support, so that’s easy there. They even have an RSS import so you shouldn’t have to do more than press publish.

1 Like

Hey Mark,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Although improving the SEO of my company’s website is a nice-to-have, that’s not my main goal.

The idea is to start marketing some more specific development services we’re going to launch soon around Data Analytics and Machine Learning, among others.

My line of thought is to have a good-to-read article on a platform such as Medium but still have the full version of it on our website, as you guessed, for SEO reasons.

Hi Stephen, thanks for your insight.

Why do you think having a teaser isn’t a good idea?

When I said teaser I thought of an article that would still make sense on its own, but having an even-better version of the article on our own website would make sense from a SEO and Marketing perspectives. Do you think that’s negative?

My $0.02:

I will start by acknowledging that I am in absolutely zero way an SEO/Marketing pro. My writing has always served a different aim (namely, I write to learn), so you may be totally right.

My reaction to the teaser approach is based on the following:

1. there’s way more great information on the internet than I could ever hope to consume
  2. if I decide to spend my time reading something, there’s an implicit contract that I have with the author that they’ll teach me something (this is not true for all types of writing, but I’m making a few assumptions about the fact that you’re writing a tech blog)
  3. the easiest way to break that contract is for the author to have a post that does not fulfill the promise of the title (i.e. “click-bait”)

I’m not suggesting that all teaser articles are click-bait. As you note: you’d write an article that could stand on its own before linking back to your site. I would counter that that is merely doubling your work. You’d now have to write two compelling articles (and the shorter one is likely to be the harder one).

On the other hand, the path of least resistance with a teaser article is to simply abridge the content so that a reader gets to the “good” part and then has to click a link. That’s annoying.

Think about reading a newspaper (the paper kind :slight_smile:). Articles start on the front page. If you start reading it, you have to flip a page. It’s frustrating. With print, there’s a legitimate reason to take this approach. Space is constrained. The internet has no such limitations and by artificially imposing them you’re not taking advantage of the new medium.

Again - I’m talking from a purely consumer perspective. There may absolutely be valid business (i.e. SEO/Marketing) considerations. However, if I’m building a business, I think you’ll be hard pressed to treat customers (in this case readers) right at every step.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your insights, Stephen.

I’ll consider your comments while defining our internal publishing process.
We will likely end up doing a dual publication (Medium / Our self-hosted blog), targeting different audiences (basically Marketing requirements).